You are here
If a student will not be attending school or will be arriving late, call the attendance line at 952-681-6602 before 7:30 a.m. Students arriving late must sign in at the attendance office. Students not called in within 24 hours of the first day of absence may be subject to truancy procedures. If your child will be absent for more than one day, please contact the school to get homework. Please allow 24 hours for homework to be organized and collected.
If a student has to leave during the day, a note signed by parent/guardian must be given to the school attendance office before the beginning of the school day or an in-person verification by parent/guardian at the attendance office is required. For your child’s safety, phone calls cannot be accepted.
Truancy & Tardiness
Students are required to attend all classes on time. Each school has a truancy process that students who are unexcused from class will follow. Consequences for truancy range from detention to a referral to court.
Students who are tardy for class may be assigned consequences, including detention and/or in-school suspension. Parents/guardians will be contacted when students have an unexcused absence for part or all of a class.
What Can You Do To Help Promote Good Attendance?
- Schedule vacations and appointments outside of school time.
- Set a routine for bedtime, morning wake-up and transportation to school so time is not missed due to poor organization.
- Log in to Infinite Campus so you know exactly how many days your student has missed.
- Set a goal of 95% or better attendance every year (less than 9 days out of school per year, or an average of 1 day per month).
- If your student is absent call the attendance line at 952.681.6602.
- Our teachers and student support staff will closely monitor attendance.
- Families will be contacted if a student is frequently absent and/or tardy.
- We will work with families to develop a plan to improve attendance.
- Chronic attendance/tardy issues may be referred to Hennepin County be@school for intervention.
- Missing the bus/transportation issues
- Vacation - unless the absence is pre-arranged with teachers and the attendance line is notified
- All absences/tardies are marked unexcused unless the attendance line is called and a reason is given
- Illness - A docotor note will be required after 3 days of illness
- Verified medical/dental appointment
- Family emergency and pre-arranged vacations
- Students are tardy if they are not in their classrooms by 7:55 a.m.
- After 7:55 a.m. students must stop in the office for a tardy slip before preceding to class.
**8 tardies = 1 Absence
Our tardy process is as follows:
After five tardies, the student meets with Ms. Brower and an information letter is sent home to be reviewed by parent/guardian and student.
At ten tardies, and every ten tardies that follow, students receive one week (5 days) of lunch detention.
Every tardy after 20 will result in the student being sent to the main office to make a phone call home to inform parent/guardian of the student’s tardies. An administrator or counselor will facilitate the call home and send the student back to class.
After 27 tardies, which equals 3 unexcused days of absence, a truancy letter will be sent home by the counselors.
After 36 tardies, which equals 4 unexcused days of absence, the counselors will contact the parent to review the truancy process.
- After 54 tardies, which equals 6 unexcused days of absence, the counselors will file a report with Hennepin County for truancy.